Thursday, November 3, 2011

Holiday Crafting

So now that Halloween is over (le sigh) it is time to begin the frenzy that is holiday decorating and present making. Literally as children were ringing my doorbell wanting candy I was planning out the reds and greens. Or as is the case this year, reds, oranges, yellows, and browns.

I have a small bird problem (and green apples, but that's a summertime thing). I have eleven wood, metal, and porcelain bird figurines scattered around the house. I adore them, and apparently it's genetic because my grandmother loves bird statues as well. Because of this admiration, I decided I want to incorporate birds and a woodland idea into my first Christmas in my own house. It's still up for debate on whether I'm getting a tree or not, but I have contingency plans in place.

I want to do a woodland/aviary theme without it getting too country, and that's where my problem arises. I spent far too long online finding a few anatomical illustrations of birds (think Audubon, not veins and muscles) and have fallen in love with the idea of using those drawings (which are now Creative Commons because of age, so cool!) as portraits of the birds, and creating a framed look for a few ornaments. I have a plethora of yarn in various fall colors, I purchased a roll of burlap ribbon, and my yard is covered in sticks and pinecones. Let the crafting begin.

Here's my color palatte/materials.



I've begun using Pinterest based on my sister's recommendation, and I must say I am intrigued, if annoyed at not completely understanding how to get rid of people I didn't sign up to follow. But I did glean this beauty from http://thepaintedhive.blogspot.com/2010/08/starburst-twig-wreath.html.



I will unashamedly admit to drooling for a bit about how PERFECT it would be because 1) it looks fantastic and 2) it's free! So after a day of planning and a night of crafting (and a brutal blister from a hot glue gun)...



It's not the end of it yet, I haven't quite decided if I want to

or

to it. The book pages would also be conducive to three other crafts, but the cloth flowers could be SO COLORFUL!

Hopefully I will have a few less disappointing ornaments for a post later this weekend. And if I'm lucky, a finished wreath!

No comments:

Post a Comment