Monday, November 21, 2011

Paint Smear Ornaments

Today on Pinterest I finally found a use for the clear glass ornaments I bought with the intentions of making tiny terrarium ornaments. After trying it with one I knew it was not going to turn out as hoped, so they went to the bottom of the pile.

But Alyssa Ruklic of MarthaWho.com has inspired me with her beautiful ornaments. How fantastic are these?!



Thankfully the "recipe" for something as amazing as that only needs 1) Clear glass ornaments available at any craft supplier this time of year, 2) acrylic craft paint (about a dollar each at said craft store), and 3) painting clothes.

You take the top off the glass ornament and squeeze in a drop of paint at a time and tap the ornament to get the streaking effect. Mine didn't come out as amazing, but I'm hoping there's a learning curve, because I believe I'm addicted.

It started out really blocky looking, and I wasn't sold just yet. So I followed the advice she put on Pinterest of placing them upside down in a throw away cup so the excess paint can slide out, and it smeared the paint a bit more. I am pleased with my first painted ornament, and cannot wait until I'm allowing myself back in the craft store to snag some more.





I'll get a less blurry picture once I have a few more to show off.

2 comments:

  1. Do you drop the paint into the bottom off the ball so it steaks once you turn it upside down or put the drops at the opening and let them steak downward before you turn it over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you can go either way, if you're letting the paint settle on the bottom first I'd only use one color at a time so they don't combine into just one muddy color.

    ReplyDelete